Tips In Avoiding Electrical Hazards And Electrical Related Residential Fires

Most residential fires in Australia are due to faulty wiring. A staggering 48% of these failures in electrical wiring are due to bad lighting or unbalanced electrical distribution. Electrical failure almost always lead to ignition that then leads to a fire. These electrical-related accidents could have been prevented with proper home electrical maintenance. Electricians in Brisbane or sparkies are not hard to find. Spending extra for maintenance and a routine electrical audit may just save your property and your family from fire.

Most of the times, electrical problems show warning signs before leading to the hazardous incidents. Knowing these warning signs can save you and your family by preventing fire or electrocution. It is illegal to handle electrical wirings if you are not a licensed technician, so best leave it to professionals and immediately contact electrician in Brisbane if you come across the following warning signs:

Fuse and Circuit Breaker Issues

When a circuit is overloaded, circuit breakers trip and shut off electrical supply. This prevents wires from overheating, igniting and causing a fire. Now if a circuit breaker trips frequently even when you know that you do not have that many devices plugged in, you should have it checked by a technician. Even when the breaker is shut off, electricity may still be flowing through the panel, that is why only a skilled professional is advised to work on it. Never replace a fuse or an entire circuit breaker yourself, as replacing them with an incompatible rating may further cause overheating and start a fire.

Shocks and Grounds

A mild shock while crossing a carpet should not raise any concern as it is only static electricity commonly occurring during winter. But if there is a tingle or mild electrical shock when you touch plugged in devices and appliance, improper or faulty electrical wiring may have caused it. This is another warning to call an electrician, as there could be a number of reasons why this is taking place and may require tracing back your home’s entire wiring.

Burning Smell

If at any point you notice a burning odor coming from your lights, appliance, switches or power outlets, immediately turn the power off at the main electrical panel. A burning smell is already a serious indication of a major electrical problem. It can be just one of your devices or appliance, a wiring problem or a power overload issue. Contact a licensed electrician right away to audit and do appropriate repairs.

Share on LinkedIn0Pin on Pinterest0Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+0